St John the Evangelist, Penllyn
Miss Rhiannon Cory / Mrs Pam Harris
|1st Sunday||9.15am||Eucharist & Sunday School|
|2nd Sunday||11.00 am||Eucharist|
|3rd Sunday||9.15 am||Eucharist|
|4th Sunday||11.00 am||Eucharist|
Download the latest Pews News for details of services this week.
Built as a chapel of ease to Llanfrynach, Penllyn chapel was consecrated c.1700.
It was rebuilt by John Homfray of Penllyn Court c.1850. A drawing of the old chapel dated 1846 shows a simple rectangular structure with a small south porch, three rectangular windows in the south wall and a simple bell turret on the west apex.
Externally, the present building mirrors this simple design, with a new pattern of fenestration.
Internally, heavy oak panelling and furniture evoke the Victorian era of the chapel’s refurbishment, but the font, dated 1682, with its small octagonal bowl, survives from an earlier building.
The church, which stands just north of the entrance drive to Penllyn Castle, was dedicated to St John the Evangelist in 1995.