St Hilary, St Hilary
Mrs Helena Davies / Mr John Williams
|1st Sunday||11.00 am||Eucharist|
|2nd Sunday||11.00 am||Eucharist|
|3rd Sunday||11.00 am||Morning Worship|
|4th Sunday||11.00 am||Eucharist|
Download the latest Pews News for details of services this week.
How to find us
Take A48 road from Cowbridge towards Cardiff. Drive past Owain Glyndwr restaurant and public house. Signpost to St.Hilary immediately on the right. Take road straight into village and church in centre.
How to get in touch
Tel: 01446 774105
Mobile: 07894 048515
Services and events
Service every Sunday morning at 11.00 am.
Non-eucharistic Family Service one Sunday per month.
Evensong held at special times of the year (e.g. Christmas, Easter, and other major festivals during the church year)
There is no Sunday School, but a non-eucharistic Family Service is held on one Sunday in each month.
Coffee and biscuits are served at the end of all services to enable everyone a time to have a chat with fellow worshippers, friends and neighbours.
St Hilary Church Choir/Music Group meet most weeks for practice. The choir also sing at Evensong and other church events both in St Hilary and churches in the Benefice and throughout the Diocese of Llandaff.
The Rectorial Benefice bellringers also meet on a Tuesday once a month in St Hilary, and ring before the service every other Sunday during each month.
An access ramp is fitted for ease of entry to the church – which also does not have any steps inside the church to cause any problem.
Car parking is available around the church perimeter.
Heavily but sympathetically restored by the eminent architect Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1862, this large church retains a number of medieval features.
In the north wall of the nave are five steps which in pre-Reformation times led to the rood loft which was illuminated by two (surviving) windows. The font is of early Norman design and is carved from a single block of local Sutton stone. A medieval holy water stoup is set into a recess close to the entrance door.
Lancet windows in the north and south walls of the chancel and the square headed priest’s door in the south wall are medieval survivals.
The effigy of a layman lies in a recess in the north wall of the nave. He is believed to be a member of the De Cardiff family, lords of the manor of St Hilary in the 12th and 13th centuries. Another effigy lies on a chest tomb in the south aisle. The figure wears full plate armour, and the inscription on the tomb reveals that this is Thomas Basset of Beaupre who died in December 1423.
Most of the stained glass in the church is Victorian, some of it designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott. St Hilary is depicted in the glass of the west window.